Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What I'll be missing next Tuesday and Rachel Maddow slams former Bush speech writer

I haven't been to a concert in ages. There aren't a lot of bands who have come out into the mainstream these past eight years who I feel are talented. The indie scene is much different. Like one of my favorite bands Live, this band offers a unique sound; one that really doesn't sound like anyone else. Led by frontman Ronan Harris who writes the majority of their music, one can't pinpoint a specific genre this group falls into. Some of their stuff has an industrial sound, while others infuse more electronic and classical ballad based melodies. I can confidently say next Tuesday in San Diego, I would have the time of my life while seeing VNV Nation perform at the House of Blues. Their only stop in North America is in the Los Angeles area and unfortunately, I haven't accrued any vacation time for my birthday next Tuesday. This won't happen until early next year. Here is a sample of what I'll miss and judge for yourselves if you think you'd enjoy seeing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht7zFlO9LvA&feature=related

Rachel Maddow set the record straight for former Bush speech writer David Frum last night on her MSNBC show. Frum's desperate attempt was to somehow compare Maddow's playful sarcasm to how McCain's supporters have recently acted at his rallies shouting: "Bomb Obama" at Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss' rally (ran the most underhanded campaigns against Max Clelland in modern political history), "Kill Him," "Off with his head..." crooksandliars.com features this video on its website under the headline The Rachel Maddow Show: David Frum's False Equivalencies and Foolishness.

6 comments:

Thomas said...

Wow. That group is TOTALLY kick-ass! Love the propulsiveness of the track.

Also saw the Maddow-Frum interview. Frum later said that "jetlag" was the main reason he wasn't at his best.

Olbermann's on in 15. Have a good one, PJ.

Unknown said...

Oh, you're kidding, right? Jetlag? He did appear fatigued and flustered throughout. I haven't seen him disengaged like that when he was on Bill Maher's show once or twice. Hopefully, that's the screw-up fatigue setting in for the GOP and its supporters.

I gotta' miss Keith for the Red Sox tonight. That Tampa Bay is one pesky team that won't go away. If it keeps going the way it has, Boston will be gone real soon.

Thomas said...

I only ended up watching "Countdown" for about 5 minutes (I found out that Sci-Fi was running new "Scare Tactics" eps and switched to it).

Sorry to hear about the Sox. Dem Rays are no joke.

Unknown said...

The Rays are a great sports story. I don't know about another Sox comeback this year. The offensive production is just woeful. This Rays' team has great athletes and outstanding pitching. The Sox will have to pitch lights out to have a chance winning three straight games.

I turned over to watch some of the Madden 'o9 on ESPN. Those guys can be beaten. Granted, I only play a few games once a week at a friend's house, but I've amassed a decent 10-2 record and beat a guy who was ranked #294 out of everyone who plays. I'd take a wheel off that Madden Express just like Obama with McCain.

Stephanie said...

My God that song brought me back to the mid-nineties when I was popping Ecstasy almost every weekend in high school.

It reminded me of the following:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/14/ravers-blinded-by-la.html

I love how this event was called "Aquamarine Open Air Festival", because that's my birthstone! :)

That's my randomness brain for ya! ;) Hope you are doing good, mister.

xo.stephanie

Unknown said...

Stephanie,

Things are going great, except for my sports teams that is -- Nebraska and Boston Red Sox. I've been kicking ass on Madden at a friend's house when playing two to three games on Sunday, terrible white trash cracker club I went to on Saturday, and planning to get together with my boys tomorrow for a night out (early b'day and only time we can get together), and at least on speaking and friendly terms with my ex. We're not relationship committed, but we did help each other along as she is an Aries and myself a Libra (polar opposites).

I've written on here how I miss the '90s. I was a total grunge fiend then (goatee for awhile and still love some of that fashion). Never engaged in serious drugs, but unlike Bill Clinton said, I did inhale pot for a month when I went away for college my first year. I was very close to trying LSD. Thank God I didn't.

When I bought my first bag, I think it might've been laced. I had very little sleep for about two weeks and at times, things were blurry to me. I did do it one more time when I got together with my old best friend from childhood days in Michigan several years ago. He said, "Like Magic Johnson, you've got to come out of retirement." Actually, this was a good experience, as I kept laughing my ass off for about an hour or two. I only drink today when I go out somewhere and my drink of choice fits my half-Irish DNA -- Guiness. Drugs were everywhere when I was in high school (best friend was a huge pot smoker) and drugs in this area are even worse today.

Finally, VNV doesn't seem to promote the typical electronic drug scene. They'll have beers and smoke like chimneys with ya' though. I like 'em not only for their authenticity and different soundscapes but also the spiritual and philosophical lyrics they presents. Under "About Me," you'll see a video link that sums up my cynical feelings towards mankind with this lyric, "We've come to paradise just to burn it to the ground." It's great to read (no, not hear or see) from you again. I'll have to catch up with your posts and check this link out you sent. Hope things are going well.