Friday, October 3, 2008

The 'Donnie Darko' Effect

I highly recommend any of you who haven't seen Donnie Darko to check this film out. It's a highly imaginative, deeply layered story. I had to watch it a second time for anything I might've missed. Without a snob film critic's review, I'll address one of the themes this story addresses, a societal disconnect.

While growing up in high school, I lived in suburbia. I grew increasingly bitter watching cliques. It showed a sign of weakness when people felt secure in numbers. I had a few friends, and all of them couldn't be together in the same setting. They couldn't resolve their differences, despite my many attempts to intervene. Over a period of time, I lost some of these friends to the cliques. My senior year was spent with just a few remaining, but those few couldn't resist hanging out with the cliques. I didn't belong. The cliques comprise of a superficial mindset that focuses on belittling those not in the group who they knew little or nothing about. It's a very wicked time period and microcosm of what our society really teaches us -- conform. Conform to buying the latest hip clothing line like GAP. Conform to dumbing yourself down opposed to rising up with creativity and innovation. Conform to mean-spiritedness for supremacy to all the other groups around you. Conform to listening to what's considered hip music at the time. It was a very small vehicle these people decided to ride in. I decided to travel with something bigger that carried more luggage on an endless stretch of road.

A few of these examples of conformity are what the protagonist confronts in this film as a high school student. I'm sure at some point in your life you've felt a sense of disconnect with what surrounded you. How did you cope? Did it spark any creativity? Does this cycle really change when we're adults? Personally, this cycle continues today. Some might wear a mask, while others reveal who they really are. This is why I will persistently challenge the status quo and one great line from this film I'll part you all with: "Every living creature dies alone."

3 comments:

Thomas said...

I've heard very good things about "Darko" (it's a modern cult classic for many).

I never took part in any cliques myself. Secretly, I may have wanted to be in one, but there was so much less pressure by not going along with any of it.

In high school, I never concerned myself with dressing fashionable or looking cool. Wasted time, in my mind.

Well, I'm off to watch Olbermann. That boy is a gas.

Talk to you later.

Unknown said...

Thomas,

I admit that I hung out in groups growing up. It always seemed I would head the pack, because I always seemed to be the tallest and most talented basketball and tennis player. Kids look up to those who they see excelling in sports. Plus, we hung out and played sports, video games, and went to movies together. Fun times.

When I lived in Omaha and here in Augusta, this was when my transformation took place. So, I went from trying to impress people to forcing myself to be my own man. I confess I secretly wanted to be in those groups also so I could form a connection with this girl who I had a crush on (Augusta). We exchanged smiles from across the classroom at times. My senior year, I pulled a Beavis and Butthead type stunt and splattered the boys' bathroom walls with wet clay from my pottery class that read: "Megadeth rules." "Rednecks only" for a toilet with dividers surrounding it.

A little, dorky freshman from the class ratted me out. It was fine. Like that movie "Some Kind of Wonderful," I served a few Saturday detentions having to do work detail around the baseball fields. This was when this girl also had to serve her punishment. We hit it off well and smoked a few cigarettes when no one was looking in the woods. She just hung out with the bumkin, country club clowns. I don't think she really enjoyed it either. My nature has always been to observe.

College is a much cleaner slate. People lose their friends from their days growing up and are forced to meet new ones. I hung out with a very eclectic group to say the least. There were plenty of differences and it didn't matter. All of us had that same goal in mind: Graduate, get the hell out, and find our desired career. I regret not starting my journalism path at a bigger newspaper that naturally opens up more to diversity. But, it wasn't meant to be. Just like college, what would you rather do: Work at a job where you enjoy the profession the most with intolerable people or work somewhere that you feel you are accepted and on occasion, loved. I take the latter any day of the week just like the professors I chose.

Stephanie said...

Hey my PJ man! :)

Things are a little crazy right now but I miss you!!! I hated that you were on Friday because you got off work early, only to go in Saturday (or was it Saturday and Sunday?). Reminds me of Office Space, "Yeeeeaaaahhhh, I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday. Sunday too." lol

I've seen Darko and it did indeed, take me a few times to watch it. I'm still not sure I caught everything I was supposed to; kind of like Momento.

I was the queen of cliques my entire life. Dress alike, talk alike; everything. :( Good news is ... I've grown, for the most part, out of it!

I'll be back in the swing of things eventually. Just all positive thoughts right now! Wanted to stop by and say 'hi'.

Hope you are well.

xo.s