Saturday, October 18, 2008

Red Sox fan est. 2002

This is a tribute to the many great memories I have watching the Red Sox throughout their disappointing and triumphant seasons. I commend John Henry, Larry Lucchino, Tom Werner, and Theo Epstein for their outstanding business model. The organization has placed solar panels around the park and recycable waste bags inside to optimize its efforts for enviroment conservation. Most importantly, they host countless charities everywhere and stay involved with local schools. Kids have that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be introduced before the first pitch.

NESN, the area's designated Boston Red Sox T.V. channel, selects a kid to call out the starting lineups before games. Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy are a gas. I never thought I'd say in all my years they could call games better than Harry Carey and Steve Stone for the Cubs (my team growing up). Here's a sample of an exchange, not word for word, but darn close:

Remy: Don, have you ever had an operation?

Don: I've had my wisdom teeth taken out, does that count?

Remy: I was in the hospital the other day. You know how they give you these gowns to put on.

Don: I do.

Remy: Well, I wasn't sure how to put it on. I walked out of my room and a woman started screaming.

Don: Oh, no. Did you put it on backwards?

Remy: Yeah. I realized my whole front side was exposed.

I'm back on speaking terms with Robin. When living in Newport, R.I. where her father was stationed at one time, he took his mother to a Red Sox game. His mother sat in the stands knitting. She began carrying on a conversation with another elderly woman. They shared cooking recipes. At the end of the game, her father asked who it was her mother was talking to. It was MRS. YAWKEY, wife of founder and owner Mr. Yawkey. She said it in a very matter-of-fact way and continued by saying she was a very nice woman.

He went back to the stadium a short time later for another game with his son. Mrs. Yawkey asked him where his mother was. He said she went back home to Texas and Mrs. Yawkey seemed disappointed but thanked him for his mother's recipes.

I haven't had to wait 86 years for a championship like those living in New England. Yes, Robin turned me into a diehard fan. My favorite experience was sitting on top of the Red Sox dugout at Turner Field in Atlanta back in 2002. I was speechless when then player Brian Daubach decided to talk to some of the Red Sox faithful after the game. Despite what happens tonight, I love the Red Sox, but like the question posed to Jimmy Fallon's character in Fever Pitch, "Have the Red Sox ever loved you back?" Yes. They've provided the life lesson that when you fall down, you get back up. Here's my favorite fan tribute video to the 2004 World Series championship team. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpuectC8ls

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Excellent video. I can still remember how the Sox stunned the Yankees by coming back from a 3 games to none deficit. Absolutely incredible. That was exactly 4 years ago when I had hopes that Kerry would be the next Prez. Oh well.

Hope your Sox are able to continue to do well tonight. I'm greatly looking forward to watching it.