Tuesday, October 7, 2008

John McCain carries a small stick and talks loud

John McCain quoted one of his heroes tonight, Theodore Roosevelt, in the debate at Belmont University saying, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." This couldn't be further from the truth amid his many misleading policy positions and boldface lies on Obama's voting record. McCain reminds me of that jacked up truck you see driving down the road with your girlfriend in the car. "Oooh, another one with a small penis," she would say. I know Republicans love the pharmaceutical companies and as I mentioned earlier, those male enhancement pills are on the rise when they see Sarah Palin.

Obama talked about fixing a corrupt, broken health care system that has bankrupt many American families. His proposal allows Americans to choose top-notch plans without worrying whether pre-existing conditions will be covered. Part of this will come from prioritizing our spending. The other will come from generating revenue by providing tax cuts to 95% of Americans. The top 5% easily own more than half this country's wealth. Americans will then be provided choices. And McCain's plan is more of the same with one gimmick attached: I'll throw out for you a $5000 tax credit. Gee, thanks. It's about as stimulating as that economic stimulus check that was spent on paying for gas.

McCain brought up again Obama's unwillingness to acknowledge the "surge is working." Once again, why not ask McCain what victory means to him. I'm so sick of hearing our troops will come home in defeat if they leave now. What have they not accomplished by this point? The violence is down, but political reconciliation isn't set. The Iraqi government has set our timetable. Why not abide by it? Survey after survey reveals about the same number of Iraqis as Americans want us out.

Obama spoke about hunting down bin Laden if he is in our sights. He didn't say we'll have a full-out strike on Pakistan. Immediately, McCain stood up and said Obama is willing to attack Pakistan. Ah, Senator McCain, the people aren't turning senile like yourself.

McCain continued his desperate attempts to distort Obama's voting record. It didn't work. Unlike Kerry, Obama doesn't let these baseless attempts slide. He held up a testy and impatient Tom Brokaw to interject with what his record is and where McCain was wrong. This is why Obama should win this election. If he doesn't, this is a failure on us.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Great analysis and McCain continues to be a putz as exemplified by this:

andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/mccain-wouldnt.html

Thomas said...

If that link is too long, try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0iIOqPGak

Thomas said...

Morning, PJ. I have a little more time now to respond to your post.

I read that when Obama talked about health care being a right, his numbers among women on that CNN ticker went through the roof. Not having to be concerned about pre-existing conditions would be such a salve for so many. No one should ever go bankrupt because they got sick.

Obama actually did admit to Bill O a month or two ago that the surge was successful, but I can see why he doesn’t want to repeat that during the debate. No use giving any points to McCain unnecessarily. Besides if the surge has really “worked”, why aren’t we bringing troops home then?

Good debate, though. Some people talked about being bored by it and to tell you the truth, there were several minutes while watching it in bed when I closed my eyes and simply listened to the candidates speak, but at least it was a different format from the last. I felt bad for McCain when he had to explain the Iran joke (I don’t think I’ll ever be able to listen to that Beach Boys song in the same way again). I went to bed pretty happy about what’s going on with Obama. I read on Andrew Sullivan that many people who have racist tendencies are starting to think there’s worse things than voting for a brotha.

I had a pretty detailed dream about Barack last night as well. There was this big stadium get-together that was taking place. Though the place seated 40,000, there were beds for people to lay down in and even spend the night. There was one portion where Obama was walking close to where I was standing. I was looking to get a good picture of him and quite stunned that he had no bodyguards or Secret Service around him. It was a beautiful day.

Have you been watching the debates on CNN where they show how uncommitted voters are feeling as they watch it? I’ve not, but have heard so much about it that I intend to watch the 3rd debate that way.

Unknown said...

Thomas,

The dream you had mirrors mine in a way. With my parents, I attended a forum with Barack, Biden, McCain, and Palin inside a hotel's conference room. All I remember now is Palin making an off-the-cuff comment that was totally ridiculous. I spoke out and everyone in the room thought I was crazy.

Look for a comical entry on how I feel about undecided voters today. I'm going to spill how I'd treat these guys if moderating the focus group. The underlying racism in this country still rears its ugly head, so I know that part of evil still exists.

There will be more smear attacks on Obama in these waning days leading up to Nov. 4. They will continue with his association with Bill Ayers. This we should count on. This time, they don't want to go there. As I'm sure you've read or seen, Palin's husband was affiliated with a seccesionist group, The Alaskan Independence Party which spewed a lot of anti-American sentiments. And we all know about McCain and his role in the Keating 5. This isn't a good time for them to play this game when Obama surrogates can tie McCain to a corrupt financial dealing with the state of our economy.

I kind of side with Daily Kos founder as far as independents, "They lean Democrat or Republican." I think the number of true independents are few and far between.

Thanks for the link. Lunch is over. Yeah. Not.