Friday, October 3, 2008

Palin: 'We're mavericks.' Get your costumes and wardrobe ready and What's your reaction to last night's VP Debate

Last night's debate went as expected for me. There really weren't any gaffes made by Joe Biden or Sarah Palin. Biden laid out specific, concrete policy examples, while Palin played the role of Harper Valley PTA mom. She was upbeat and charismatic with little to no substantive responses to direct questions and rebuttals. She did carry out McCain's message by completely mischaracterizing how Obama and Biden plan to carry out their tax cuts for 95 percent of Americans; yes, this includes you and me.

I continued hearing "mavericks" over and over and over. Now, I visualize just what they mean when they infer they're reformers but have a long rap sheet (prefer this over record) that says otherwise. John McCain and Sarah Palin will ride to Congress on horses, donned in tight black pants, vests, pairs of boots with spurs, holsters carrying six shooters, and will shoot at the bad guys (those who support helping the poor and middle class for example). It will turn into a "Last Person Standing in D.C." event.

Palin said massive oversight is needed for Wall St. It's ironic that she and McCain are now supporting the same policy position Biden and Obama have supported for years. Politics as usual? It's convenient to support it now when average Americans are hurting by unscrupulous decisions made by top executives and a hands-off approach by our supposed regulators. I was glad to hear Biden mention a few times that McCain has voted for deregulation 20 different times and Bush's disastrous budget each fiscal year.

The last character Palin played last night was one of executive who knows how to work with both parties. Nope. "We're Alaskans and we work to see at the end of the day what's best for Alaska." Little media coverage has been made of this, but political opponents have said she becomes very irritable and even has her husband Todd in the room when she vehemently disagrees. I guess McCain and Palin are made for each other. McCain also has had a long history of becoming physically confrontational and walking out of meetings when he doesn't get his way.

Historically, the VP debate doesn't play a big role in the outcome of an election. Besides, we're a microwave age society. I think many of those undecideds will swing one way or another after the final two Presidential debates. I'm still skeptical about those swing voters. With all the information available to them today, many of them lean to a particular party's idealogies more than the other. You also had those interviewed during the primaries, on election day, who said they still hadn't made up their minds yet. Morons!

2 comments:

Thomas said...

PJ, wish you’d tell us how you really feel. :P

Great post.

Here are my thoughts on said debate:

I was riveted for the first 20 minutes. Even more so than last week's. Palin lost me when she gave a shout out to an elementary school class. I thought this was supposed to be a Presidential debate, not American Idol. She did perform better than I expected, perform being the operative word.

The scariest part was when the moderator talked about the possible passing of McCain. I'm not afraid of much, but the idea of a President Palin caused me to release in my pants a bit.

Palin seems to think the answer to everything is tax cuts, but that ain't gonna work with the debt we have, the Iraq war, a decline in educational standards compared to the rest of the world, finding alternative energy sources, you name it.

Jay Leno had a great line a couple weeks ago: McCain and Palin make a big deal out of being mavericks and standing up to their party, but in the end, who do they want us to vote for? The very same party that they’ve railed against!

I’m also baffled by those who can go through months of campaigning, conventions, and debates and still not know who they’re voting for. It boggles the mind.

Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Thomas, I'm in a brain freeze right now. I think my mind is still preoccupied on having to work tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. Even though I only had to work a half day, I'm dreading it.

Something that also scared me was her response to meeting with our enemies. I whole-heartedly believe that the old addage, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" applies on the sphere of influence scale. Yes, Barack said certain conditions have to be met, but we've historically met with Stalin, Kruschev, and others. Robert Gates and former Secs. of State said we need to talk to our enemies. So, the McCain team is really shooting off blanks on this one. By meeting with these rogue leaders, we'll know what they're up to and determine what negotiations can be reached to deter hostile aggression.

Yeah, the shout out to the elementary school class reminded me of that time she was at a town hall meeting and said, "You can play stump the candidate." You would think, like the rest of America, our leaders can rise above the American Idol and reality show mentality. I think Biden was extremely strong when he said Obama/Biden positions are what you talk about at your kitchen table. "How can I put my child through college?" How much will it cost for (mom or grandma's) can't remember which one he referenced MRI... He addressed these issues specifically earlier in the debate. Palin mentioned the working class in vain. She did it, because McCain didn't mention "middle class" once in his debate. So, this is how I truly feel. My objective approach was really seeing if someone would say something totally outrageous, and it didn't happen.