Friday, December 19, 2008

The Holiday Season equals 'The Silly Season'

Our cable news outlets and talking heads love stirring the pot. Yesterday, Barack Obama announced he had selected controversial mega church pastor and author of The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren to deliver the inauguration's invocation. This drove fellow liberals nuts. Here's my take on it.

I'm a self-described meat and potatoes liberal. My intellectual capacity is limited compared to many so-called Conservative and Liberal intellectual elites. I believe one of the core tenets of liberalism is tolerance. Why do I listen to the music I do? People like Ed Kowalczyk and Bono "Paul Henson" use this in their lyrics. It's silly divisiveness that tears us down. Yes, I'm offended by Warren's statements and actions pertaining to the equal rights for LGBT and women's reproductive rights, but that's not to say he and I can't sit down and have a civil discussion. Can't we all just get along?

There is someone close to me who was deeply offended by Obama's choice yesterday. Her grandmother was left penniless after Billy Graham swindled her. There is one profound statement Bono made on The Rattle and Hum album for Bullet the Blue Sky and paraphrasing: I'm sitting in my hotel room, turning on the T.V. Lovers' sounds next to me. Well, I can't tell the difference between ABC News, Hill Street Blues, and a preacher on the Old Time Gospel Hour stealing money from the sick and old. Well, the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Ohh, the last sentence of your post was a killer! Obama said that he would bring about a different kind of politics and so I don't see this as much of a surprise. I also disagree with Warren on a number of things, but that's life. I don't consider him a shyster like some of those we've seen come and go over the years.

Have a good weekend, tough guy.

Unknown said...

Ah, credit Mr. Paul Henson a.k.a. Bono for that last sentence. I still practice my faith, but it's not up to me to impose it on others. Reiterating, the most harm we have done is allowing those like Warren to have a place at the State's table. This nonsense has gone on for far too long.

I did have a debate with a black colleague of mine upon completing this post today on this very issue. He loves what Warren has written in The Purpose Driven Life. I've read portions of it and from what I've read, it's common sensical. His position was naturally from The Old Testament. I also reminded him how it was fine for men to sell their wives into slavery and polygamy was tolerated at that time. I asked him if he agreed with that course of action. By the end, we just had to agree to disagree. Constitutionally speaking, I don't understand how one group who were so oppressed could feel the same toward another. Gays, lesbians, transgenders, and bisexuals are now treated as a "separate class." It's natural that the oppressed will eventually clash with their oppressors to obtain equality.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

"Yesterday, Barack Obama announced he had selected controversial mega church pastor and author of The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren to deliver the inauguration's invocation."

Not a fan of Mr. Warren but I suppose that's life, in my own purpose driven way. :-P

"I'm a self-described meat and potatoes ... "

Ahh, two of my favorite things in life, meat and potatoes. :)

"My intellectual capacity is limited ... "

I don't like that you started out the paragraph with those words because you are quite the intellectual, mister.

"Why do I listen to the music I do? People like Ed Kowalczyk and Bono "Paul Henson" use this in their lyrics."

Well, first off it's because you have great taste in music. Secondly, I had no idea Bono's real name was Paul Henson. I learn something new everyday.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Yes Rodney King, I mean PJ King, I think we can. :-P

"Well, the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister."

I'm with Thomas ... this is a great line. Great line. :)