Friday, September 26, 2008

Kick McCain's ass Barack and intriguing weekend sports matchups

Well, John McCain has set aside his crusader armor and has decided to debate Barack Obama tonight at the University of Mississippi. Tonight Jim Lehrer will be moderating and it's expected to be focused on foreign policy. Both candidates' past experiences in debates reveal some weaknesses -- McCain has been known to lose his temper or simply exchange pleasantries with his opponent without showing any distinction. When running for the U.S. House the first time in Illinois, Obama was criticized for "being too professorial." I really haven't seen that from him thus far.

Obama should slam McCain for supporting the surge in Iraq when Afghanistan continues to lose its control to the Taliban and not focusing on getting bin Laden. Also, I'm hoping he mentions domestic security and our lack of funding and attention to our sea ports and airports. The FAA has still found weapons getting passed screeners at some of our major airports, and this administration has continued to deny some contractors their lastest, most up-to-date technology to be used.

Intriguing Sports Matchups

No more sports picks. On a previous post, I'm now batting 0.00. Rafael Nadal lost in the semifinal at the U.S. Open, Arizona Diamondbacks didn't make the postseason, and Ohio State looked silly against USC (great upset by Oregon State last night). So, I'll just list games that interest me.

I'm hoping the Minnesota Twins will continue their winning ways when they close the season at home against the Kansas City Royals. I can't stand Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, so a small market team like the Twins would be great to see in the postseason. The Tampa Bay Rays hopefully will lose every game against Detroit. It's unlikely the Red Sox will win the AL East, but ya' never know.

On the football side, my Nebraska Cornhuskers face their first tough test of the season when they host Virginia Tech. This should be an interesting one, and Tech should be tough, particularly on defense. Nebraska needs to bring their A game on offense.

I have a few friends who obviously are diehard Georgia fans. They face a very solid Alabama team. If Georgia is able to stop Alabama's running game, the Bulldogs should be in good shape.

Two interesting pro football games this weekend. I like the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings matchup. This pits two teams with great defenses and should be a low scoring affair. Also, the upstart Atlanta Falcons travel to Charlotte to face the Carolina Panthers. This is another game that can easily go either way.

With tonight's debate and good games this weekend, I think I'll be a curmudgeon. There are a few movies I need to watch before the games begin tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I also hope the Twins win the division over the Sox. Course I'm a native Minnesotan, so that shouldn't be a surprise. I'm not a fan of Guillen, either.

The Vikings-Titans game might be good for a while, but I think the Titans will end up winning it, maybe even blowing them out.

I'll also probably stay in for most of the weekend, especially on Sunday with the NFL games and the return of my favorite TV show, The Amazing Race.