Thursday, September 11, 2008

Keith Olbermann's 'Special Comment' tells you all you need to know about the Republican Playbook: '9/11 TM'

I vividly remember what I was doing on Sept. 11, 2001. Ironically, it's in the same location I work at now. My negative experiences working around narcissistic and uber-authoritarian office colleagues brought me back home. I did obtain my degree, and I'm constantly reminded how I'm literally wasting my time where I'm at. However, I trade working with a family-like atmosphere over intolerant people any day. Sept. 11, 2001 was a nightmare.

While diligently working on a project, my diminutive colleague called out to me. "P.J." "What," I asked with my silly, gruff tone. "Come here." He had his radio blaring that day. I walked over to his work station.

"A plane just hit the World Trade Center."

"Do you know how it happened?"

"No. They just said a plane crashed into it."

At this point, I thought that it might be just an accident. Perhaps, it was one of those small engine planes that lost control and crashed into the building. Back to work. It didn't take long before he yelled my name again.

This time, I knew something was terribly wrong. He said a second plane hit the second World Trade Center tower. Now, this isn't an accident. My heart uncontrollably raced. "Wake up. Wake up," I told myself. Nothing. This nightmare was too surreal to absorb at once. Immediately, I envisioned more damage and destruction that might ensue. Reports later came in about more planes that were flying off course with one believed to be heading toward the White House.

My body was numb while watching the images shown on NBC. Our branch manager walked into the break room and said, "Gentlemen, we're at war." His prognostication proved to be correct.

By day's end, four planes caused massive destruction and claimed more than 4,000 lives. Many surviving family members' wounds are still healing from that day. Some wounds are more open than others due to New York City and our national government's blatant avoidance of their needs. Volunteer workers who worked extremely long hours and days still can't get the health care they deserve simply because they weren't on the government's payroll.

The ensuing months followed, and we set our sights on catching the terror network responsible, Al-Qaeda. We knew who led this sickening plan, bin-Laden. I wanted retribution for what happened. We attacked the Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, and I fully supported President Bush's decision. Our military achieved its initial objectives by overthrowing the Taliban and helping the Afghan people move toward a democracy.

Our success was short lived. Suddenly, our leader began telling us that Saddam Hussein was a supporter of terrorism and had weapons of mass destruction at his disposal. No. He's planning on avenging what happened when his father led the U.S. efforts in the first Gulf War. He wants to finish what his father advised for us not to do -- invade Baghdad and kill Sadaam and his regime. Unfortunately, my ignorance of the facts at the time proved to be correct. We dropped the ball on Afghanistan and invaded a country that had no proven ties to bin-Laden or al-Qaeda. No weapons of mass destruction were found. What's worse? We're still in Iraq today while Afghanistan has become increasingly unstable.

In 2004, our Presidential election played the fear card. You're safe with Republicans. If John Kerry is elected, the terrorists will follow us home. What we now know is the Bush Administration and New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani were grossly incompetent and negligible leading up to 9/11. Giulianni had the emergency response center inside one of the World Trade Center towers. Condolezza Rice received a memo on Aug. 9, 2001 headlined, bin-Laden determined to strike U.S. Communications at ground zero in NYC were severely hampered as a result of Giuliani's disastrous blunder even after the 1993 attack on the WTC. Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress allocated funds for emergency response equipment to small communities opposed to those who need it like NYC.

Today, Republicans still insist they know what's best for our security. "We haven't been attacked again. Bush should be praised." Tell that to all the veterans returning home who aren't receiving benefits and can't get jobs. Tell that to the Iraqi people who still live in fear or were forced to leave their country. Tell this to the American people who have turned to depressed, raging alcoholics after their jobs have been shipped overseas. We still see record profits rolling in for Exxon-Mobil and more contracts awarded to unscrupulous defense contractors like Dick Cheney's old ties to Haliburton and religious zealot, Eric Prince's Blackwater. Most important, history shows wars don't defeat terrorism.

Keith Olbermann summed up the disgraceful actions by these Republicans and their supporters last night. This comes down to an election about hope and promise against one driven by fear. Any person with half a brain should know this by now. For Republicans, it's not country first, it's me first. Here's Olbermann's rivoting Special Comment he delivered on his show last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PERKBFgg_I

7 comments:

Thomas said...

Thanks for sharing your story, PJ. I saw Keith's special comment earlier this week, very powerful.

I wrote the following on September 11, 2006:

A couple years ago, I was perusing the used CD section of a discount store and noticed Bruce Springsteen's CD, "The Rising".

It was released in the summer of '02 and was Bruce's first album recorded with the E Street Band since his "Born in the U.S.A." days. I picked it up for a few bucks and had a listen. Most of the tracks were influenced by the 9/11 attacks (Springsteen is originally from New Jersey).

However, there were quite a few upbeat songs to be found on it as well. I listened to the track "Empty Sky" as I drove to work this morning. Two of my other favorites from it are "Further On (Up The Road)" and "The Fuse".

Without question, it's one of my all-time favorite CD's. I remember listening to many of the tracks for the first time while I took MY Saint Bernard, Brandy, for a walk with my headphones on.

As far as my story for that day, well, I basically slept through the madness. I didn't have to be at work until 2pm. I turned on the telly at about 11am. Both towers had already fell, but there was still a lot of smoke. I sat down, got the scoop, and then took a shower. I figured it would pass and took Bran for a walk.

All these deaths were occuring, but in my subdivision, all was quiet. When something like this happens, I usually move pretty fast towards acceptance and then move on. In this world, many things "good" and "bad" can happen. Such is cause and effect. But by remembering that life never ends, I can have peace always.

Time passed and the president decided to invade Iraq, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 (virtually all the terrorists from that day were from Saudi Arabia). I was firmly against it from the start and three years later, the rest of the country is starting to catch up to my views. Many times more innocent people have been killed in the invasion of Iraq than were on 9/11.

I don't think our civilians' lives are worth more than theirs. But Bush continues the madness. And more violence is just creating more terrorists, not less.

I went to Famous Dave's on Saturday and noticed a bumper sticker which sums up my feelings exactly. It said:

January 20, 2009 The End of an Error

Let's not give up hope.

Unknown said...

Thomas,

Thanks for sharing your story as well. Bruce is one of my all-time favs. I have his greatest hits and love tracks like "Born to Run." He has a great voice and along with himself, he is surrounded by exceptional musicians.

Clear Channel owns the local stations here. Their management refuses to play anti-war music performed by so many: Mellencamp, The Boss, Tom Morello, Eddie Vedder, and the list goes on and on. I think you're right. Although some of the mood sound and lyrics might have some anger and rage, there are some uplifting ones from Mellencamp as well. I need to get that Springstein CD.

There are some disturbing things happening here. One, my colleague had her car keyed more than likely for having an Obama sticker on her car. Before she told me that, I visited my parents and noticed the two Obama signs in their neighborhood are no longer up. I think this falls under terrorism, although minute as it might be.

I saw a pic on your blog I believe of Bran. Gorgeous. As someone who is computer illiterate, I kindly ask for your help to get some pics on here. I was a huge computer geek in high school before the Internet came around. After that, I was simply able to grasp programs I used to have to work on: Photoshop, Excel, MS Word, etc.

Unknown said...

Sorry Thomas, but let me babble a little more. I have two bumper stickers and one I'm about to put back up. The first one reads, "I'm not anti-Bush, I'm pro-intelligence. The second is that same one but it only reads, 1-20-09Bush's Last Day. My favorite so far is, "Republicans for Voldemort."

Thomas said...

PJ, Clear Channel is an effing joke. We have 'em out here, too, and they are one of the reasons I refuse to listen to the radio.

Even though I live in a blue state, I've been reticent to put an Obama sticker on my car for fear that some redneck would go to town on my recently purchased 05 Elantra. Love the "not anti-Bush" one you have.

I was actually thinking recently that you could spruce up your site a great deal by adding pics or using more colors in your template.

To add pics, first go to your dashboard, click on "layout", then on the right side, click on "add a gadget", then where it says picture, click on the "+" sign next to it. You'll then be on the "configure image" screen. Click on the dot where it says "from your computer", then press "browse" to find the pic on your hard drive that you want to display. After it downloads, check the box where it says "shrink to fit", then press save. For directions on how to change the template (look and layout) of your weblog, go here:

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=41439&topic=12450

Let me know if you have any problems.

Unknown said...

Thanks Thomas. Like a Corona beer, I realize this template is bland and terribly stale. I greatly appreciate your helpful tips.

As my mother said, "You've got crazinee everywhere. It's not just here." She's right. This is a very precarious time, and although I live around some Old South minded people, there are nuts everywhere. That Elantra is a very cool looking car and you should take pride in it. If you have any hesitancy, I wouldn't put one of those stickers on. I don't have one up myself. With my time freed up now, I know the Dem. Party Chair here and I think I'll see what I can do to contribute to Obama or local Dem. campaigns instead. Thanks again for your helpful advice.

Thomas said...

Love the Corona beer analogy, PJ, and good to see you now have a pic up! To paraphrase what a famous man(?) once said, "Let there be pics".

Rochester is having a big Democratic shinding this Saturday, but I'm going to be outta town at a concert (Vince Gill).

Unknown said...

Although I admit I'm not a huge country fan, the Vince Gill concert should be a lot of fun. That's definitely something to look forward to. Thanks for your help once again and there should be some up here on an occasional post.