Friday, April 10, 2009

Personal favorite top 5 bands of the 90s -- #1

I lack musical talent. All I have to offer is a halfway decent singing voice and on many occasions, its not good. My father's side of the family has some very talented musicians.

This week marks the 15th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's suicide. While I wasn't a big fan of Nirvana, I appreciate what he and his two bandmates offered to identify with this generation -- willingness to break away from societal norms, emphasizing individualism, and occasionally yelling to release that inner rage of solitude that existed for so long. I chose to do this through writing. Even if you're a casual fan of Nirvana, I saw a very interesting documentary several years ago questioning whether Cobain's death was indeed a suicide.

My grandmother gave me a gift certificate to a music store. I was indifferent to music, but this album caught my attention with a bare-chested man folding his arms with a burning cross in the background. It symbolized to me how all the ills of society were burning on that cross, while a man possesses the inner strength to reach out to others with benevolence. That certainly seemed to be the theme of the music. To this day, they still along with U2, sound like no one else to me. I'll give you a hint who this is: you'll find the band name on this blog's sidebar. Several hundred poems, one published along with a short story, brief stint in journalism, and trying to juggle the ambivalent thoughts that prevent me from continuing a novel can all be attributed to these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvBFbtQ1NwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOculxtdX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=velIlLxxnb8

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I'm not too familiar with Live, but based on the clips you posted, I can understand how it is that they've had such a profound effect on your life.

Have a good Easter!