Friday, August 8, 2008

Rate Me

Every Friday, I want to do an interactive bit with all of you. This is the premier of rate me and it's quite simple. I'll provide a very scant description of a person, place, or thing that somewhat interests me and it's your job to do two things: 1.) Who, What, or where the hell am I talking about? 2.) Rate on a scale of 1-5 what you think of this person, place, or thing. At the end of this, I'll reveal who this is from a short YouTube clip.

This first one is based on a person. His name has been mentioned on the news recently. He starred in one of my favorite 80s series, Our House as Gus Witherspoon. There were two episodes that recently came to mind. First, Gus literally went ol' school in one episode and demanded his entire family avoid any modern technological device for a month. So, the kids had to take cold showers, couldn't watch MTV, listen to music on headphones, etc.

The second episode featured Gus and his neighbor, Joe "Jew" Kaplan. I'm not a bigot, but apparently Gus was in this one. While inside a pharmacy waiting to be checked out, Gus made an anti-semitic rant to Joe. Joe didn't take it very well. It was puzzling how they mended their differences at the end of this one. Gus never apologized for the comment, and Joe did something like help one of Gus' family members out of a conflict (Joe was known for that and coming over to the home for a fresh cup of coffee.) Who is this guy? Please rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXEi7wN-Qug

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I couldn't place who it was based on the description. I had to click on the link and I'm usually pretty good with pop culture stuff. Oh, well. I'd rate him a 3. I'll always remember him for the Quaker Oats commercials where he would end with the line, "It's the right thing to do".

Unknown said...

Thanks for participating. Yeah, it's a rather obscure reference and doesn't get into his earlier work. I won't rate on here, but that's pretty close to where I'd rate him. Let the audience decide wherever the rest of them are.