Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Skip from my Lou Holtz my darlin' and Proof Reality T.V. isn't Real? OMG! LOL!

My family lived about 10 minutes away from the University of Notre Dame for nearly 10 years. I grew up as a huge Fightin' Irish football and basketball fan. My dad took me to the games, and I remember the rise the Irish took to football supremacy. Dating back to the Gerry Faust administration, the Irish had some mediocore seasons to say the least. There was one memorable game when quarterback Steve Beurlein nearly led the Irish to an improbably upset over Michigan. They came up a little short and so did Faust's tenure with the team. The South Bend Tribune's sports section had a glaring headline, Oust Faust. Sure enough, the university fired Faust and hired a feisty up and comer, Lou Holtz.

The team began recruiting some legendary players like Tim Brown, Raghib "Rocket" Ismael, and Tony "Tony, Toni, Toney has done it again and you can't go wrong with Uncle Ben's" Rice. Holtz was known for persistently pacing back and forth on the sideline and occasionally suffering from nervous twitches that had him picking grass off the field. The Irish quickly became a national powerhouse and finally, won a national championship over West Virginia in 1988.

Today, Lou Holtz serves as a sentimental college football analyst for ESPN. If you're a betting man, don't put your odds on Holtz' picks. I know he loves pepping up the underdog, but his expectations are unrealistic. I have a soft spot in my heart for Lou, but he needs to stick to football. Recently, he was seen palling around with Sean Hannity on Hannity's America. If you suffer from any mental deficiencies, you can expect to have a few more if you believe what Hannity tells you. Here's Herr Keith Olbermann's analysis of Lou and Hannity on their silly thoughts about global warming:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#29498957

Keep it Real

A few old friends and seemingly self-proclaimed entertainment experts used to criticize my choice to watch World Wrestling Entertainment's Monday Night Raw. "Huh, huh, you have to be gay to watch men in tights. You know it's fake." My sharp tongue replies, "You just don't see the true entertainment value behind wrestling. It offers great parodies of people we meet each and every day." I provide a few examples and they responded with a deer in the headlights look.

Here's why I've returned to watching Monday Night Raw. Take Randy Orton's character. It takes great non-verbal skills i.e. facial expressions to pull off his cerebral and callous actions. Lately, his character suffers from IED (Intermittent Explosive Disorder). It's a disorder where the character suffers bouts of uncontrollable rage and thus, he doesn't take responsiblity for his brutal actions, most notably Vince McMahon's family for hospitalizing them. You also have an egotistical, primadona in Chris Jericho. He mocks the audience for their lack of contributions to society and lately, has called on all the washed up WWE legends to challenge him to a match. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat came out and was quickly dismantled by Jericho. Wrestling entertainment offers more than skillful athleticism; it also offers great comedy.

The Village Voice's Michael Musto is drop down hilarious. However, he just looks like a guy who has a snotty streak to him. If I met him out somewhere, I'd ask him what he finds most intriguing or provocative in the latest pop culture news. Ten minutes later, I'd probably leave. Hell, I might as hell play you the entire Olbermann show from last night. My favorite line he used was directed at The View's Elizabeth Hasselbeck, "Her priorities are so far up her hoo hah, Barbara Walters can't find them." He also used a term I never heard before, "douchenozzle." Eventually, if the time is right, I hope to use this term. Here's his take on the latest shenanigans from ABC's The Bachelor:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#29499036

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I remember enjoying the antics of the WWF back in the late 80's/early 90's. I wasn't as into it as my brothers, but it was difficult not to be amused by Rowdy Roddy and company.

A few days ago at Wal-Mart, I saw a collection of DVD's that had some of the more notable fights of Rowdy, JYD, the Sheik, and several others.