Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Southern Sloppies

One of the symptoms I've noticed about the South is how spineless people are when calling you out on mistakes. Yes, I'm venting on my lunch hour. Here's a typical example. When working as a journalist, my boss came up to me one day and said, "Someone called and said you need to make a correction on your Development Authority article. The second to the last paragraph is inaccurate." O.k. I responded by saying this was what was said at the meeting. "It doesn't matter." "Well, who called in to make the complaint?" "It doesn't matter. We're going to have to run a retraction for the next issue." Translation: If you don't like the message, blame the messenger.

The South is completely opposite from New England and other places I've worked and lived in. In New England, people are considered rude for how blunt they are. I don't consider someone's uninhibited honesty as a sign of rudeness. This way, I'm not having to guess for future endeavors what I need to do to correct past mistakes or accomodate this person's requests. Bottom line, don't be a pussy if you have a problem with someone. Have some balls or pussy control to be up front and express your qualms.

Yesterday, some jackass at our main account was completely disorganized. I knew today exactly whom made the complaint. Naturally, I received the proverbial, "We provide them a service. It doesn't matter who said it. Just monitor what you're doing." This guy who made the complaint had his work station completely dishoveled, so I couldn't completely fix his mess he created. Plus, I made a sarcastic comment to him one day when he was trying to be pushy with me. This tells me a lot about the Southern culture as a whole. Yes, I make mistakes but don't call me out on them. This observation can also be applied to the sloppy, reckless Conservative pundits.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I'd much prefer living in New England over the South. Perhaps one day, you and yours can pack your things and head up north. The weather may be more severe, but in most cases, the people aren't.

Unknown said...

Well, the grass always seems greener on the other side until someone deficates on it. New England also has its issues -- segregated first and second generation immigrants that include Italians, Irish, and Portugese. They tend to stick together and aren't receptive to outsiders. Places like Boston and Providence also have a long history of corruption.

The South is dominated by a very strong Christian culture where Bill Maher accurately points out these shortcomings. Second, many towns and my city included are run by an aristocratic-style governance. The few families who own multiple businesses or as Noam Chomsky once said, "The wealthy elite are always first in line for public services." There's a huge disconnect among those who have the most with those who are low and middle income earners here.

I will say I have a few great friends I won't leave behind along with my parents. Truthfully, Robin and I are great friends but incompatibility is a huge issue. She's very needy and demanding with an uncontrollable temper that she hasn't resolved. These aren't characteristics I'm looking for in a lifelong commitment. I guess I'm able to tolerate the intolerable by the many around me here. This is one of the worse places for raising kids as well. Public education is atrocious and people here making the most seemed to do the bare minimum like earn a GED or high school diploma. I don't consider nepotism as a means for success or as it's commonly referred to as "the good ole' boy system."