Saturday, March 28, 2009

Uncomfortable Realities We Often Ignore

Hubert Selby Jr. is one of my favorite writers. Known for his gratuitous imagery, exploring the mind's stream of consciousness, its self-deception, and humanizing the inhumane, he writes about characters who are shunned by society. This music video features a montage of clips from a very intense dramatic film, Requiem for a Dream. Adapted from Selby's novel, director Darren Arnofsky delivers a very stark, surreal set of images that captivates individuals' desires and addictions. I vomitted after watching this movie the first time. Yes, it was that intense. Ironically, Selby did the same after he read The Room once he completed writing it.

This artist is one of the true musical geniuses of our time. He is the great-great nephew of Herman Melville and uses his music industry's monicker after Melville's most famous character. This is one of my favorite tracks Moby has recorded. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuXjUk_voU

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I saw "Requiem" a number of years ago and you're right: very intense. Not something I'd wanna revisit, but it sure went further than most movies are willing to go.

Thanks for giving "Transsiberian" a try. Good to hear you enjoyed it as well.

Unknown said...

Yeah, once was about enough for me. It does speak about the underbelly of society we often ignore. I guess that's what I attempt to expose and unravel through my aspirations.

TransSiberian started slow, but really picked up. It became a great suspenseful, psychological thriller. The word verification is "sweater." Unfortunately, it's too warm here to wear one.