Monday, November 3, 2008

Make Election Day a Federal Holiday and simplify the process

Election days are set on Tuesdays. Tuesday? This is a very daunting task for many registered voters who set aside their time from work, despite the unexpected events that might transpire. Your boss might tell you if you're gone for more than a few hours, your job will be eliminated. If this is the case, the employer doesn't deserve your services. You might have an important meeting with key clients while still waiting in line at a precinct. Why not mandate this day as a holiday?

Many Americans no longer work the traditional 9-5 Monday through Friday work weeks. So, it's even difficult to just say let's hold the election day on Saturday or Sunday. Democrats want full participation every election cycle. The higher the turnout, the more this favors the Democrats. If we had the high numbers like France with 90+ percent, Republicans wouldn't win a general election unless Democrats practiced gross incompetence during their last terms.

Voting Machines

Have any of you seen Man of the Year? One thing writers like Kurt Vonnegut have taught us is absurdity and science fiction eventually turn into reality. Bill Maher said it best: Voting machines would be cool if this was 1969. As we know, computers are just giant fuck up machines. They're like a silicon version of Gary Busey. You never know when it's going to explode. This is how I look at these Diebold machines.

I never understood what was wrong with just old-fashioned paper ballots. You receive one, punch a hole next to the candidate's name you choose, and that's it. Computers are vulnerable to viruses and glitches like anything else. Complaints have already been voiced at some precincts about these machines. Additionally, many lines can easily be avoided by simplifying the process and going back to paper ballots. This way your not having to stand there pushing your finger against the screen, scrolling down it, and finally picking your selection. It's silly some of these precincts only have a few machines for hundreds who wait. This is one area where I always will be old-fashioned.

7 comments:

Thomas said...

While shopping this evening, I was also thinking Election Day should be a national holiday (Michael Moore was talking about this on Friday). That's how many other countries do it. Most other countries also use paper ballots which are much less likely to be tampered with than those fuckin' touchscreens.

I know you already voted, but have a great Election Day, PJ.

If my voting experience tomorrow is at least somewhat interesting, I plan to do a post about it.

Unknown said...

Thomas,

I wanted to leave a comment about your recent post. It was engaging, and it does shed light about the Republican support base. Here's what sums up my feelings about your average Republican. We've all been around the kid in school growing up who was a spoiled brat. I don't remember personally experiencing this, but the analogy does fit the Republican. The kid brings a new toy to school, and it's time for recess. He only wants to share with a few of his closest friends. The teacher tells him if he doesn't share with the rest of the class, he won't be allowed to bring the toy back. So, he pitches a fit, takes this toy, and runs away.

Republicans are indifferent to everyday problems, UNTIL THESE PROBLEMS AFFECT THEM. Now, we see more and more saying their pocket books are hurting. As a liberal, I accept and tolerate them already despite our differences. This is the reality. The age-old argument is Democrats do two things: Offer welfare to those who are lazy and want to raise your taxes. 1.) Corporate welfare always supercedes social welfare. 2.) A redistribution of wealth occurs during each new presidential administration. Who ultimately benefits -- people or corporations? The late Noam Chomsky said, "The wealthy are always first in line for public services." Let's hope this trend doesn't continue in the days, weeks, months, and years that lie ahead.

Thomas said...

Hey, PJ. The post you left on my site is now up. I am moderating the comments I get now because the anonymous girl who stirred up such a ruckus on your site a few months ago has been on my ass as well (If she visits you again, don't hesitate to change your settings).

I'd never before heard the point about Republicans not having any problems with corporate welfare, but being completely against social welfare if it doesn't affect them. Never had it explained to me in that way. It really seems like a lack of empathy on their part and I must say I don't get it. People should ALWAYS come before corporations. I'm not a Christian, but even I know that.

There's a doozy of an article about Georgia tonight on fivethirtyeight.com. Check it out:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/on-road-atlanta-georgia.html

Unknown said...

Thomas,

Robin works in a heavily Democratic leaning area in Augusta. The voting turnout has been unbelievable. She's had to confront some grumpy, irritable people who want to park where patients are only allowed. I heard and I hope this is true, that we could get up to an 85% turnout for all eligible voters.

Don't worry about that silly girl either. I'll let her on to see how far she's willing to go. Just to reiterate, someone might tell me to go to hell, but I'll be glad to show that person the way.

Stephanie said...

I too feel that Election Day should be a day off but I also feel that 9/11 should be.

"Republicans wouldn't win a general election unless Democrats practiced gross incompetence during their last terms."

The Electoral College is responsible for this, not you, me or Thomas. :(

I haven't seen Man of the Year. Did Kurt Vonnegut write that? I've never read him but Project Manager kept trying to get me to.

LMAO!!!!! A silicon version of Gary Busey??? I LOVE it ... especially since I'm watching that freak show on Celebrity Rehab (I told you about my nasty addiction to reality TV).

Heh ... you said 69! ;)

I'm soooooo with you on the paper ballots friend. I just wish we were 'progressive' enough of a state to still use them!

Did you get your 'I Voted' sticker?

Hope you are good PJ! I miss my PJ!!! :)

xo.s

Stephanie said...

Congrats, friend!!! :)

I just hope he really has 'change' in mind. We need it as a nation.

I sincerely hope nobody cuts his term short.

Unknown said...

Tonight, I think we've seen what America's Promise holds in store for all of us. We've championed all the barriers. The Promise is that we are self-reliant, resilient, and never back down. Barack understands this. It's up to us to allow our voices to continue to be heard. He will need them, and we need him to restore this Democracy. It won't happen overnight. I'm extremely proud, like my parents who came from humble beginnings in tiny Nebraska towns, I see a lot of Barack in them and myself.

I also agree that 9/11 and Election Days should be mandated as Federal Holidays. We must not forget all those brothers and sisters who tragically lost their lives or had their lives changed forever on that fateful day. I still have extended family in NYC who never made that journey to Nebraska. A few served on the front lines as police officers on that day and still to this day. It's a very noble, selfless profession.

Elections provide everyone that chance to make a difference. One person can't change City Hall. This really isn't a cliche, but I'm sure you've heard it before: It takes a village to raise a child. Right now, everything is hypothetical. I'm attracted to Barack's visionary proposals, his humility, grace, and unbreakable spirit of optimism. I'm confident we can break the chains of divisiveness we've seen these last eight years and finally move forward. This is imperative. An economy and planet in peril, rogue leaders we must confront, health care, keeping jobs here and punishing those who continue outsourcing... This won't happen overnight but confident we can get there.