Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Barack's win is a mandate for change and why I support the Democratic Party

In 2004, I worked as a journalist for a small community newspaper about 40 miles away. It was exciting. Each day, you didn't know what to expect. Journalists are also empowered to investigate and dig deep creatively for engaging stories. This was my first stint and unfortunately, I worked under two bullies who controlled the newspaper. It wasn't pleasant, had to bite my tongue on a few occasions, retaliated with some sarcasm on some others, and worked under an intolerable authoritarian who felt it was o.k. to discuss another employee's performances to me when it was my second day on the job. This is a very cutthroat business, but I have no regrets with my many fond, memorable experiences I was able to gain.

One of my first stories was based on a local attorney's strong fan support for the University of Georgia's football team. He received his Bachelor's and Juris Doctorate from the school. Inside his small office, there were numerous framed posters of famous moments throughout the football program's history. For a brief time, he was also an amateur golfer. It was a shrine of Masters Tournament and University of Georgia football memorabilia. After the story, he was extremely gracious I had written it and wanted to introduce me to others in town. I joined the Lions Club and quickly formed a friendship with him. Like myself, he was probably the only liberal in this town.

When I began my employment, his wife worked as an advertising executive at the paper. She was one of the sweetest women I met there. One day, I was jotting down on my notebook story ideas. All of a sudden she said there should be coverage of seniors at the local nursing home. Stop. My heart began racing. This was a wonderful idea, so I was granted permission by Atilla the Hun, oh, sorry my boss, to feature each Sunday a senior citizen's story.

Each story was unique. I enjoyed the woman who loved playing Bingo and placing on her bedroom walls several collage pictures. There was another man from Texas who was a diehard football fan, and we spent a few hours talking about our favorite football memories. However, each story wasn't rosey or positive.

One woman described how she was abused as a child by her mother. It was gut-wrenching and most of our time together was spent with her continuing with this narrative. I had to write something positive and eventually, it was limited to some friendships she gained with her neighbors.

I went on to another newspaper where I questioned the powerful elite in town and lost my job over it. If I had to do it all over again, there's not a damn thing I would change. Legally, I could've sued this publication for wrongful termination but didn't. This was where I interviewed Jesse Jackson, an innovative foot orthotics doctor who makes special foot inserts for household name athletes and those stricken with arthritis, a world renowned artist, and one of the tobacco whistle-blowers. I trade all this away in a heartbeat for those moments I spent with the seniors. They paved a way for us, and their contributions shouldn't be ignored or forgotten.

My outlook on government is this: Government should always serve those who can't fend or serve for themselves. People first in line should be veterans, seniors, and the disabled. Like myself, these guys don't ask for handouts. They just want a little more and unfortunately, these seniors weren't able to benefit from the opportunities provided to us today. Barack has said it best a few times: Am I my brother and sister's keeper?

Even though I support the Democratic Party, this doesn't mean I won't ride Barack's ass like I did on some policies Clinton made during his last term. Inevitably, there will be some disagreements. I know he's a great human being and shows a very compassionate spirit for those around him. Last night's event was unique in so many ways. One theme you could see in the faces from the crowd at Grant Park in Chicago was a hopeful optimism that we can do better. Here is a replay of last night's Presidential victory speech Barack delivered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jll5baCAaQU

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

EEK!!! PJ!!! I love the passion!!! Seriously.

You getting fired up is sex-ay!!!

I hope I didn't piss you off, that was never my intention. :(

I'm going to respond to your comment in full because it is well-deserving but, I can't do that right now because I must feed the belly of the beast (me). I'm hungry!

I would NEVER call you ignorant. I would never insinuate you were a hack. Hell, you are/were a journalist by trade. I've just had a ton of free time on my hands as of late to do a buttload of research.

9/11 ... well, you hit a nerve. You know that though. It's okay. I wouldn't openly subject myself to verbal insults and having eggs thrown at me IF I wasn't 100% sure of what I was standing up for. Period.

You don't have to believe me.

I'm thinking about you friend and you've given me a LOT to think about.

xo.s

Stephanie said...

Oh yeah ... AND I never got your email. :(

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

*DING* You've got mail! ;)

Thomas said...

You guys can rip each other new ones all week for all I care!

Stephanie said...

Can we settle this over a pillow fight? ;)