Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Super Bowl and 'Slumdog' tops my new rankings

From the Appalachian Mountains in the great state of North Carolina where it all began to the flat plains in Nebraska and ending in the sweltering heat and humidity of Georgia, I've had many fond memories of traveling to tennis tournaments. This is one sport I know. Sure, I stopped playing during my freshman year of college, but I obviously had the goal to one day make it to the highest level. After watching this year's Australian Open, these guys have the complete pedigree -- conditioning, uncanny footwork, blistering serves and groundstrokes, mentally unflappable, and impeccable shot selections. The first two listed, conditioning and footwork, are what separates the good players from the great.

I woke up after a great dream followed by a nightmare. Seriously, this was my first dream I had where I was in a threesome with two hotties. Very nice. It dramatically shifted when I found myself stuck or feeling imprisoned. I couldn't make it back home and was stuck with my dad's side of the family. There were some important tasks I had to attend to at home, and I needed to get back. My mind and body were numb. I couldn't do anything about my situation. So, I woke up around 6:45.

Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer were in the middle of the third set. I was delighted (hear this word from executives a lot) to wake up in time to see the rest of this awesome match. Nadal is one of the best counterpunchers I've ever seen. He's able to track down the ball from the other side of the court and hit outright winners. Federer has a scorching serve with great placement and is a great all-court player. These guys played some unbelievable points.

Once again, Nadal prevailed over Federer. He denied Federer a record-tying 14th Grand Slam title and has won 13 out of their 19 meetings. Nadal has that one intangible to beat Federer at the baseline. If there's one thing Federer needs to do, it's attacking the net more frequently. Nadal is too good of a ball striker to play with him at the baseline. If Federer hits the ball deep and low with a slice, he could shorten the points. This also plays into why Nadal appears to be the fitter of the two.

Slumdog Millionaire

This is a definite must-see film. The cinematograpy was captivating in this coming-of-age tale of hardships and triumphs. There were some very intense moments in this. Overall, this was just a brilliant story complemented by great filmwork and all who contributed.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Totally agree with you on "Slumdog". It's my favorite movie of the Oscar moviegoing season and will most likely win Best Pic in 3 weeks.