Friday, May 16, 2008

A Retraction and Apology -- The Beautiful and Ugly Observances of Humanity

Yesterday, I mentioned I worked for two hick newspapers. It's untrue for the most part. Many were gracious to see themselves or those close to them receive coverage. During my first stint, I received an award by a small, private school for my persistent coverage. There were many great memories I shared with the staff, parents, and students. I wanted to see these young adults and children succeed. It was joyous to see how well students worked rehearsing and performing in their school play and saddening when their high school age girls basketball team lost their first game in the semifinals of Georgia's state tournament.

My bitterness for this newspaper was shared by those at this school. This was unfortunate but a mixed blessing. I worked for this publication for 10 months. The last few were hell. My second day on the job immediately raised a red flag. The publisher asked me to have a one-on-one conversation with her about another employee. This truly was a Fox Noise-like environment. I'm not repeating this verbatim, but here's what was said:

"Jenny (fake name) has a problem using the (police) scanner. You won't have a problem with this, will you?"

"No. As much as we want to see positive human events, we also have to face the reality that there is ugliness out there."

"That's right. I remember having to cover a murder investigation. When I walked into the house, the whole family was shot to death. There was blood everywhere."

"To be honest, this makes my blood boil (remember, I'm pandering). My adrenaline is pumping just thinking about having to rush to the scene when I get that call on the scanner."

"That's why I'm so fond of Augusta State University's journalism program. They prepare their students well for the workforce. Jenny got her degree in English from Georgia. So, she's used to writing about soft things like flowers."

I let my naivete get the best of me and didn't turn elsewhere. Eventually, this same attitude she had towards my colleauge was directed at me. She used her venomous hatred to do everything to make me feel insignificant and unwelcome. It's terrorism. Every article she presented to my attention was premised with the notion I can't write. Despite the vast majority of articles that were submitted, it was always those few that deemed my work a failure.

After my departure, I learned more people left the paper for similar reasons. They despised this woman's hostile, authoritarian persona. And those legal ads that they desperately fought over with its competitor, well, they lost that battle as well. Evil eventually turns on itself.

Part two will unravel my second stint which also revealed beauty and ugliness. I was blessed to interview innovators and leaders that included Rev. Jesse Jackson, one of the tobacco whistleblowers, and a highly renowned and innovative doctor who specializes in treating biomechanical structural abnormalities.

No comments: