Friday, May 2, 2008

Congrats to my colleague who finally was hired on full-time

I consider myself blessed to work in a family-like environment each and every day. Shorty, our dimunitive 5' and few inches 47-year-old black guy (or as he decribes himself as butter pecan while I say I'm bananna coconut), finally was hired on full-time by our company this past week. He is one of our hardest working employees. The company didn't hire him on during his several years due to his absenteeism and chronic asthma disorder. After one of my other favorite colleagues decided not to call or show up after he was hurt on the job, Shorty was granted full-time. It's a mixed blessing. I miss Kobi though. He and I hung out and shared the same interests -- movies, Boston sports teams, and perceive the South as extremely backwards.

Shorty is happy-go-lucky with different tastes for music, T.V. shows, movies, and listening to right-wing noise pollution. He watches unreality shows -- American Idol, Survivor, etc., which I sincerely believe has lowered America's IQ. The only show I enjoy is Lost. I think it's brilliantly written and filmed with good acting.

Since Shorty's work station is adjacent to mine, we have radio wars some days. He continues to turn up the volume on his old-fashioned radio blaring the Neal Boortz show, while I play one of my indie CDs or what he calls, "You're listening to that acid music again (mocking with a hand gesture indicating it's music you jerk off to)." He listens to a variety of music, but it's just crap. Sorry. Take your local pop music station as an example. Every time his radio is turned up, I hear that damn whiny song, "When it goes from my toes, I twinkle my nose..." Hey, I'm picky with my entertainment just like my foods.

We've had a good friendship despite our differences. A few times we played basketball against each other. Unfortunately, we got out on the court during those steamy, summer Southern evenings and followed that by drinking a few beers (His idea. I only like to drink when I'm not, oh, let's see, DEHYDRATED). It was nearly unbearable for me to drink alcohol after an intense workout. He brags to the other guys at work how he beat me. Stop. All of my energy was expended after two games when I imposed my long, lanky arms on defense and impeccable outside shooting. I was tired in the third game and heat and I don't mix.

I'm glad to have a great colleague and friend finally receive his just due. Congrats and I'm ready to cherish these moments before my time comes when there is an opening that will fit my communications niche. I'm ambivalent about my future and begrudge the office atmospheres I've worked in thus far. Physical labor is something I enjoy and yes, perhaps I did waste five years of my life to earn a Bachelor's Degree. If I can return to working on my novel and it gets published, my preferred career choice is teaching creative writing at the college level.

1 comment:

anon said...

Thanks for the comment.

If you stop by again, I'll promise to blog more often.

--M

p.s--It was Bright Eyes. Don't tell anyone.