Sunday, May 17, 2009

Today's America: 'We're strangers to each other'

I'm at a crossroads in my life and know I'm not alone. These past two weeks have been extraordinarily devastating. My BFF, who works as a car salesman, has struggled to sell a car and works off commission only. A woman he met on Match.com was from Nebraska (my state or should I say where my parents grew up and relatives live -- i.e. grandparents immigrated from New York City). After talking to her via the Match.com website, she invited him to her house. He was only there for thirty minutes and yes, believe it or not, she initiated the next step for sex. They met again and it was the same routine. Then, the confusion came.

She works in upper management, finishing her M.B.A., and wants to leave Augusta. So, she basically brushed him off through text messages. His lack of sales has driven him to drinking a few beers on his lunch hour and several more after work. I've gotten onto him about that. When he does make a sale, guess who profits the most? Yes, it's the good ole' boys who are predominantly in upper management because they're friends of the family who owns the business or family itself. Finally, he has his sights set on leaving this city he has known for his whole life.

I'm also great friends with twin brothers. One works as a chemical operator and is approaching a six figure annual income. He has recently come under fire from his borish, obnoxious boss who yells at him. This has really dampened his spirits and I've told him it's natural for those with low self-esteem to take out their frustrations on others. Unfortunately, his brother tops the list for overcoming a shattered state of mind.

I learned he was admitted into a mental institution earlier this week. He has a beautiful wife, two children (one who has autism), and beautiful home. His wife works as a registered nurse and is the bread winner. He works for a company delivering propane to businesses and residents and feels his life has been a failure. The warning signs weren't there. We spoke on the phone about the overwhelming greed that takes place at his wife's hospital and his company. Yes, you're learning, I responded. I wish I had known he was suffering and would've changed the direction of our conversation to a more positive, upbeat one.

This past Friday, I was laid off from my job -- AGAIN. This time, it appears to be permanent and is probably the best thing that could've happened. I began to be more and more unhappy working at an overly simplistic job. Our major account began to pick up its production again in April, only to see it flatline in May. My boss kept reiterating, "You're overqualified to be here. This is about as far as these guys (colleagues) can go." He's right. I took refuge in this place, because it was comfortable and family-like every day. I made good money, received a health care and dental plan that was top notch, and great benefits. However, there's a much broader issue to the problems my friends and I currently confront.

Today's America isn't going to change for the better anytime soon. When I bowed out of my Middle Grades Education degree with one semester left, I was appauled by how teachers treated their students. They ignored those who struggled and paid more attention to the high achievers. Isn't this a microcosm of our society? "The wealthy elite are always first in line for public services," Noam Chomsky once said. We need true reform in our public schools to shape future generations to simply treat each other better than we treat ourselves right now.

I've said for several years how we need to implement humanistic teachings in our schools. One of my newspaper columns touched on this and was referred to as The Breakfast Club model. I promise you this column received ample praise from educators and a few elected officials after it was published. What did you have in that 80s blockbuster film? You had troubled students who came from different backgrounds who eventually gained respect and appreciation for each other. Once a week, no matter the school size, students should get together and truly learn from each other. What's troubling them? Where do they see commonalities with each other? It is then and only then will we one day finally see the downfall of greed.

There's a huge difference between myself and best friends -- I don't care how society views me. After my friend is released from the hospital, I will wait a week or so and give him the greatest gift I've received, Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist. This was hailed as the best book ever read by the likes of Madonna, Will Smith, and renowned entrepreneur and salesman, Spencer Johnson. This book is based on a spiritual journey and is a simple read where you don't run into obtuse language. There are two critical themes that apply to all our lives: There are many obstacles we confront, but we ultimately control our own destinies. Do what you want in life. Second, you might feel guilty during your journey that you're abandoning those you love. Those who truly love you will still be there with that same love after you've completed your journey. I recommend this book to any of you reading this post.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. One of the reasons many people are devastated by the loss of a job is because they view their work as their worth. Without a job, thay feel lost and their self-esteem plummets. I've learned not to put any of my self-worth into the job I'm doing. Good luck to you on whatever's around the corner.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words Thomas. I'm confident everything will work out for the best. You have a great outlook on life in general. I completely agree that self-worth needs to be taken out.