Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reviews of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Star Trek, and Blood Games?

The first three X-Men films were well directed and presented all-star casts. Its latest installment has Liev Schreiber taking the spotlight. Schreiber (Sabertooth) is a highly talented actor with a vernacular for quick wit, cool disposition, and an imposing physical presence. Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) was often seen through the film making these grunt noises, trying to allow the beast from within come out. I thought this was a mistake. Second, some of the special effects weren't necessary in some action sequences. Overall, this wasn't a bad film, but it was lost without its original director.

Star Trek

There are certain cults who scare the hell out of me: Trekkies, Dungeons and Dragons players, and those who spend way too much time playing World of Warcraft. When I was in college, I wanted to use the power of telepathy to let those Dungeons & Dragons players in the game room realize I was just there to play a few games of Galagga. I didn't want to be cast with some evil spell or heaven forbid, they think of me as The Grim Reaper. These alternate realities I truly believe are their realities. Anyway, I'll give you my take on Star Trek.

Director J.J. Abrams and his team pulled off some amazing special effects, set designs, and brilliant cinematography. I will say some of the lighting in certain settings was too glossy and unnecessary. Trekkies, I'm sure are pissed after watching this film. Although I was a casual fan of the original series by Gene Roddenberry, I knew certain events didn't take place and Abrams revised some of the original script. For example, Spock is much older than his counterparts but not in this film. I also questioned some of the interpersonal relationships and family history. This also might've strayed from the original storylines. Otherwise, this was a great film and thus far, leads the way for early summer film releases.

Blood Games

This was probably the most overly stereotypical film I've ever seen. It's hard for me to fathom the writers wanted the viewers to take this one seriously. Intentionally or not, this film intertwined The Bad News Bears, Deliverance, and Missing in Action. An athletic set of tomboys square off against a rowdy redneck baseball team. The rednecks, albeit their uncordination, are already reveling in their drunken debauchery. Its town folk are missing teeth, yelling and squealing like pigs, and appear to be ready to stage a mob attack on the gals. The girls easily win the game and the lead redneck for the other team, Ray who coincidentally is celebrating his birthday, receives some harsh advice from his Vietnam Vet dad.

The girls' coach has some unfinished business to attend with Ray's father. This is when all hell breaks loose. The rednecks continue their squarely actions like hitting each other upside the head with beer cans. Reaching the film's climax, there are actually some graphic violent moments that surprised me. I was torn at certain points on who to root for: The tomboys who are conflicted on whether they should continue focusing on their bawlin' baseball skills or find good men in their lives or the comical rednecks who can win at something. This was a corny movie that helped me gain more appreciation for so many other films.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

PJ, you said that for Star Trek, certain events didn't take place, but did you know that in the new movie, they are in an alternate reality in which what happened previously is no longer a factor. In this way, Abrams wasn't fenced in by Trek canon. This also allows him greater freedom for sequels. I found the movie fantastic, more than living up to my high expectations. I decided to pass on Wolverine. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Unknown said...

Thomas,

This I didn't know. Like yourself, I found this film to surpass my expectations also. There were some great tongue-and-cheek moments and witty exchanges. Great acting by some new faces as well. I loved Terminator 1 and 2, but I'll be surprised if its well-received. To this point, I still think Abrams' Star Trek is the movie of the sunmmer.