Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rating the acclaimed movies I've seen or plan to see

1. The Reader -- Kate Winslet is amazing in this film. Outstanding script.
2. The Wrestler -- One of the most innovative and visionary directors of our time Darren Arnofsky will deliver another surreal film. I've yet to see it, but I'm confident this will be a great one.
2. Gran Torino -- This is one of Clint Eastwood's greats.
4. Revolutionary Road -- An average film that's regurgitated many classic novels and scripts from the past.

3 comments:

Dämmerung Anblick said...

That's what I love about Oscar season....

Thomas said...

I saw both "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Revolutionary Road" yesterday. I snuck into "Road", so it only cost $5.50 to see both.

"Slumdog" was fantastic, a must see. "Road" was good, the two hours just flew by, but I can't say it's a great film and completely understand it not being nominated for Best Pic.

I am very interested in "The Reader" (it hasn't come to my town yet). I don't know how big I am on seeing Eastwood play yet another grouchy old man, but we'll see (it's on my wife must-see list).

Unknown said...

Dammerung,

Yeah, Robin loves this time of year. It's her Super Bowl and has followed this event for a few decades now. She has to see all the nominated films. Shame, "Milk" hasn't come here but living in a socially ultra-conservative area, I see why.

Thomas,

We're looking at seeing Slumdog this week. I've heard nothing but rave reviews over it.

Unfortunately, I saw what was coming in Revolutionary about five minutes into it. The acting was great, but I've just become too accustomed to those types of scripts. I've read too many books that have very similar storylines.

I understand how you feel about Clint playing that type of character. Look past that facade and deeper into what might be going on around him. This film has a touching, moving theme to it. I'd be surprised if you come away from it disappointed.