Thursday, January 8, 2009

I was that guy in Marley & Me and who will win tonight's big game?

Marley & Me is a great reflection of a couple coping with a rambunctious labrador. It presents a very light-hearted tone with plenty of comical moments. Owen Wilson plays a newspaper reporter turned columnist. There's one scene that caught my attention. Wilson is having a piece reviewed by his editor. The editor has that stern look on his face, while perusing through it. This was no different from the tension I used to have. Wilson began saying he could've written it differently.

I was a reporter for vastly smaller newspapers and did a little freelance work. The worst is having your work turned down. It can be dissected into rubbish, and you feel like the biggest idiot on the face of the Earth. There were times I struggled with flow and transitions. For Wilson, he received praise by his editor.

It was hysterical when Wilson had to cover very mundane topics he complained about. One I recalled was zoning laws. Yep. That struck a familiar memory. Hard news reporting sucks most of the time. You're assigned to cover local government meetings where little to no action is taken and expected to take away something remotely interesting from them. I wish I had to do it all over again where I would've started at a larger newspaper and work my way into a full-time reporter. Hell, reporting on a gas leak downtown would've been more interesting than many stories I had to cover. Showing I have a personality which many reporters lack, I would've loved to become a columnist. There needs to be a more humanistic approach to reporting. This is why you're seeing their circulations going down the tubes due to modern technology -- 24 hour cable news, internet, blogs, etc.

Overall, I enjoyed this film and recommend it. It has heart. Many perceive Marley is the center of attention, but there's a lot more that goes on in this.

National Title Game

My best friend and I leaned towards Oklahoma at the beginning of the season to win the National Championship. Now, the majority of the country believes Florida will win and rightfully so. They have a more dynamic offense and present a lot of speed on both sides of the ball. However, I feel Oklahoma will prevail with persistent pressure on the edges and pressure former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow into making some uncharacteristic mistakes.

Go Sooners and Big 12. I'm sick of hearing my friends talk like the South is the end all be all of football. I realize Texas, Florida, and Georgia produce great talent, but Nebraska and its surrounding areas prove they can play just as well if not better. I'm hoping this is the case tonight.

Great NFL playoff games are on tap this weekend as well. Enjoy it now football fans. We're coming to the end once again.

4 comments:

Nate said...

I still have not seen Marley and Me, but my girlfriend read the story and said it was wonderful. So we are going to rent it when it comes out on DVD, and hopefully I will have read it by then too. In any case, good critique.

Thomas said...

Thanks for the movie recommendation. You didn't say whether or not you cried at the end of "Marley". Knowing what happens at the end is kinda keeping me from seeing the film (though I'm sure it's quite good).

I feel for you in regards to the newspaper biz. There are few things more rewarding than writing something and having others enjoy it.

Stephanie said...

My sister bought me the book and I have vowed not to watch the movie until I read it.

Also, I refuse to watch tear-jerkers in a movie theater because I always hate crying in front of others, especially strangers. You should have seen me in 'The Passion of The Christ'. I was crying when the opening credits were rolling and didn't stop until the end. I was puffy and red and couldn't breathe by the time I left!!!

Apparently a lot of people were under the impression that this was a fun-loving happy movie and were unaware of the outcome. Families took little kids and the whole theater erupted in an unexpected cry-fest! I'm sure this happened more than once.

In the sports section: blah, blah, blah. :)

xo.s

Unknown said...

Nate,

I prefer to get movies on DVD. It's better than going to a theatre. You can always pause it whenever you have to get up to go to the bathroom or get something to eat. I wouldn't be surprised that the book is great.

Thomas,

Honestly, I did get a little weepy there at the end. Damn it. This hasn't happened since watching that damn "The Notebook." That one drove me nuts. I think I created a flood by crying my eyes out midway on. Where's Noah?

Stephanie,

Whoa! I would've had to give you some funny M & Ms during "The Passion of the Christ." I found this to be an incredibly intense film that depicted events leading up to Jesus' crucifixtion.

This is actually a great, must-see film for kids. It teaches them about love, loyalty, responsibility, gains, and losses in life. Despite what you might've heard, everyone is at peace at the end. Personally, this is how we should view life and death.