Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Shoot 'em up Georgia

How do you define terrorism? If you watch Fox "Fascist" News, I'm sure you have a mental picture embedded in that hollow head that terrorists only come in the form of tanned skin, Middle Eastern, machine gun holding, black mask wearing Muslims. I take a little more of a broad approach to this near eight-year-old loosely defined term. Georgia Gov. Sonny "Daze" Perdue just signed a bill into law that will allow gun owners to carry their guns into restaurants, bars, and many other public areas where large groups of people gather. This is one of the most idiotic, reckless forms of legislation I've ever seen.

In light of one of our most recent Supreme Court rulings, all the Conservative Cons thought they did the right thing and struck down the Washington, D.C. gun ban. No guns were allowed even in homes. Justice Antonin Scalia, the most incompetent justice to ever serve on the Supreme Court (i.e. read his dissenting opinion on trying Gitmo detainees in American courts after coercive depositions were entered into the court record in the military courts), led the charge on this one and those Pro-Life values voters just cheered as America's 2nd Amendment was obliterated. The 2nd Amendment allowed Americans to carry guns, primarily to defend themselves from British militias. It specifically says all those in "militias" have the right to bear arms. I don't see anywhere in this amendment that allows handguns to be carried around like their toys. Yet, Scalia said banning ownership of guns violates an American's personal freedom and "individual right." The Supreme Court's ruling pales into comparison to the one right here in Georgia.

Watch what happens in light of this. Trust me when I say some out-of-control nut is going to shoot up an establishment (someone who can't control his or her alcohol tolerance, fighting over a girl, etc.). The solution to owning a gun is simple in my opinion and I even have Conservative colleagues who agree with me on this: Allow those who wish to bear a rifle to use it for hunting purposes for a 72-hour time span only. Outside of that, there's no purpose. The argument from Conservatives is this: "What if some nut breaks into my home? Just let him kill my family." If we rid guns from the marketplace, that would make it more difficult for the intruder, right? Modern technology has plenty of other devices that can incapacitate someone without the use of deadly force (won a debate on this in high school judged by Conservative-minded kids). Handguns serve no beneficial purpose in a civilized society. Read more about other shenanigans from gunguys.com. They, along with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, cite the same Georgia House Representative who co-sponsored this bill is now advocating for guns to be carried around in our nation's busiest airport, Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport. Can we all say redneck terrorism is brewing?

2 comments:

Heather said...

hey!

glad to see things are going well with you and robin, and the tennis sounds fun. i really need to get into something active, if for no other reason than to wake myself up!

i haven't seen knocked up, or the happening, but I would like to see both. Still need to see sex and the city.

The condo is great. I love living in the City, there is always something stirring, even if I am not doing it!

I expect your blog to get going in full swing here as fall rolls around, I will enjoy you giving conservatives a hard time!

Throw up some photos on your blog, let's see what good ole Georgia is looking like these days!

Glad to see you are back to blogging!

Take care and have fun playing tennis!

Heather said...

I am sorry to hear that about Robin, and I hope everything works out there.

I am sure she will be just fine.

Only 2 cups of coffee? That is crazy. You can quit many things, but coffee is not one of them!!

Cleveland is actually a pretty cool city in my opinion. I know it gets a bad rap, but really, it has a lot to offer.

Just went to the fireworks display, which it just so happens is in my own back yard.

Fun restaurants, bars, etc. And the new Art Museum opened up.

I am right next to all of the sports venues, they are all within walking distance.

Is there even another city where their basketball, football, and baseball venues are all downtown?

I don't know, but I don't think so. You will have to let me know if you find another one.

I don't know about that batman stuff, but I have liked the movies that I have seen so far, but I haven't seen them in forever. I didn't see the last one, but Christian Bale is amazing.

Check out American Pyscho if you haven't seen it yet. It's pretty dark, but somehow I think you will be ok with that.

Well, off to walk the dog, make sure you keep us updated on how Robin is doing!